Type: Burger, Cheeseburger
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Ready in: 40 min.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (thyme, sage and parsley)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 1 cup shredded Beemster Smoked
- 1 cup arugula
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook 20 min. stirring occasionally until very tender and golden brown. Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler to high heat. Combine remaining 3 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, and garlic, plus salt and pepper to taste. Rub olive oil mixture all over mushrooms. Marinate 30 min. Grill or broil mushrooms about 5 min., turning once, until tender. Evenly top with Beemster and grill 2 min. or until melted.
- Serve mushrooms on buns and top with arugula and carmelized onions.