Type: Appetizer, Soup
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Ready in: 35 min.
- Melt butter in 4-quart saucepot over medium heat.
- Add onion and salt and cook 4 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in broth and half-and-half until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in broccoli and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- With an immersion blender (or in batches in regular blender) purée soup to desired consistency.
- Return soup to pot and stir in Beemster until melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with additional shredded Beemster.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 lb broccoli, stems and florets coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups shredded Beemster Farmers' Choice