Type: Main Course, Gratin
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 65 min.
Ready in: 80 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange squash, cut side down, on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake 40 min. or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet and add leeks. Season with salt and cook over medium heat 8 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in apples and cook 3 min. or until apples are just tender.
- Scrape flesh from cooked squash. In medium bowl, mash squash and stir in heavy cream, maple syrup, and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Place squash mixture in a 1-quart greased baking dish and top with leek mixture. Combine Beemster and bread crumbs and sprinkle over leeks. Bake 15 min. or until bread crumbs are golden and squash mixture is hot.
- 1 (3 lb) butternut squash, halved and deseeded
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup finely shredded Beemster Classic (Aged 18 Months)
- ½ cup fresh pumpernickel or whole-grain bread crumbs